As the UK's most innovative fintech, we're taking a mobile-first approach and r edefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we're making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we're committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
Here's some of the tech we use
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We're investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google's Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform We've taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
We're on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That's why, when we're recruiting, we're looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our Data team. We're responsible for storing, transforming, optimising and analysing all of Atom's data to give the business the data and insight it needs, when it needs it. And we need help to build and support our advanced real-time data platform.
This role offers remote working or a flexible mix of remote & office based working from our Durham HQ.
What will your 'typical' day look like…. (there's no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Deliver first-class data solutions, which are secure, appropriately tested, perform well, and help provide an engaging customer experience
- Take ownership for building a framework in which other data engineers excel and thrive; taking responsibility for devising standards for others to follow and coaching engineers to enhance their capability and performance
- Continuously evaluate team's processes and procedures to maintain a positive and efficient engineering culture
- Lead the design of the data pipelines operating on secure, production data and of the implementation of common components that improve our ability to write them more efficiently and reliably
- Devise standards, create and maintain technical documentation for any software you have developed, ensuring maintainability, readability and testability conduct code reviews, pair programming and knowledge sharing sessions, embracing feedback at every step
What do we need from you?
- Experience of leading small groups of developers in building data solutions
- Demonstrable experience of working with and designing a platform, implementing best practices around data processing on an industrial scale
- Test driven development experience in an Agile development environment
- Demonstrable solid knowledge of data modelling principles, including data lakes and warehousing tools and techniques
- Hands-on experience of ingesting and processing streamed data using tools such as Kafka, pub sub etc
- Experience of writing production ready Java applications and familiarity with the spring framework
- Strong understanding of the SDLC of data solutions
- Experience of using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, and of containerisation (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Experience of performance coaching and management of other data engineers
- Demonstrable experience of working closely with architects and other developers from other technology disciplines to deliver workable end to end solutions
- Clear communicator both written and verbally
What would we ideally like from you?
- A degree in Computer Science or related field
- Hands-on Kafka development experience
- Kafka certification
- Financial services or regulated industry experience
What you'll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option - performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input - candidate can put in more)
- 'All About Me' fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan - expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance - 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover - 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development - professional qualifications.
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)...... click apply for full job details